Home Insurance

  • Tenant Insurance
  • Condominium
  • Rental Property
  • Homeowner
  • Cottages
Tenant Insurance

Renting in Ontario is not without its risks, which is why tenant insurance is vital. While the province doesn’t mandate tenant insurance, your landlord almost certainly will. The exterior of your rental unit, including communal spaces, falls under the umbrella of your landlord’s insurance. However, everything inside of your unit is...

Learn More

Condos are the perfect point between buying a new home and residing in a rental. You own your dwelling, but you aren’t responsible for mowing the lawn or filling the pool. To protect your condo and your belongings, it’s essential to purchase the right condo...

Learn More
Rental Property

Being a business owner is a big responsibility, especially when you’re in the business of housing others. Rental properties come with risks, especially in terms of liability. With many people (both renters and their visitors) on your property at any given time, protecting yourself and your property is vital. Landlord insurance...

Learn More
For your home

Why Buy Homeowners Insurance with Ron Johnston Insurance? For more than four decades, Ron Johnston Insurance has served the people of Ontario in a broad range of home insurance services, including homeowners insurance. Being a local business, our team of experienced brokers aren’t just serving clients, but friends and...

Learn More
For your home away from home

Whether your cottage is rustic or year round, on an island or mainland, we have the coverage available to custom design a package for your needs. We can include watercraft, rentals, and large family compounds as well.

Learn More

Home Insurance

Canadians are passionate about the places we live, and home insurance protects those places from financial risk.

Ron Johnston Insurance works with homeowners across Ontario, ensuring your house insurance covers the important things in your life.

There are several home insurance options to choose from, including:


Owning a home is not without risk. In Canada, where the climate changes from one day to the next, it is critical to insure your home against damage.

Homeowner insurance protects against:

  • Structural damage to your house.
  • Attached structures such as fences and decks.
  • Damage to, or loss of, belongings inside your house.
  • Liability issues.

Types of risks covered in your home insurance policy depend on the policy type. The most basic protection covers:

  • Fire damage
  • Wind and lightning damage
  • Explosion
  • Theft
  • Vandalism


Many landlords require proof of tenant insurance before signing the lease agreement. Tenant insurance is necessary to protect yourself from unforeseen costs associated with damage and liability, and to your belongings.

Similar to home and contents insurance, tenant insurance protects against basic perils. You can extend your home insurance to cover other risks, such as water damage, or alternative lodgings while apartment repairs are being made.


Do you own a rental property? Renters insurance is essential for protecting yourself and your rental property against damages to the building itself and any attached structures, liability and loss of rental income.

Your renters insurance coverage can apply to either specified perils (named risks) or all perils (all damages or destruction to the home), depending on the policy you select.

Common perils covered by this policy include theft, vandalism, falling objects, and fire.


Living in a condo means that much of the communal areas are covered by insurance through the condo corporation. However, your home and its contents are not included in this coverage. Condo house insurance protects you against things such as:

  • Fire damage
  • Explosions
  • Lightning damage
  • Hail damage
  • Theft
  • Vandalism

Condo insurance protects against additional costs that are not covered by your condo corporation for damage or upgrades to the property. If the condo board modifies the pool, repave driveways, or installs new windows, your condo protection is there to balance the costs.


Cottages are often used as seasonal, or income properties, requiring a unique house insurance policy to keep your cottage protected while you’re away or have tenants.

Cottage insurance may have higher premiums due to increased risk. Cottage insurance can be extended to cover docks, boathouses, and additional risks related to location.

Why Buy Home Insurance with Ron Johnston Insurance?

For more than four decades, Ron Johnston Insurance has served the people of Ontario in a broad range of home insurance services.

Being a local business, our team of experienced brokers aren’t just serving clients, but friends and neighbours. We strive to provide the greatest level of protection on all home insurance policies, while meeting your budget needs with every insurance quote.

When you work with Ron Johnston Insurance for your home and contents insurance, you work with a team who believes in:

  • Above and Beyond – Our brokers work around the clock to find the best deals for our clients. We aren’t satisfied until we know all your needs have been met, and you have peace of mind about your home coverage.
  • Express Claims – We offer express claims on our home insurance for accessibility and convenience.
  • Customer Satisfaction – Your satisfaction is important to us. Our business aims to equip you with the right protection for your home and assets. If you aren’t satisfied, we aren’t doing our job right.

What Does Home Insurance Cover?

House insurance covers the basic risks you face as a homeowner, and can be customized to cover additional perils, and structures. The two types of home insurance coverage offered at Ron Johnston Insurance are:

Standard Home Insurance Coverage

Standard coverage through your home and contents insurance policy protects against:

  • Liability – If someone is injured on your property, or by your property, liability coverage pays toward medical fees, and your court fees in the event of a lawsuit.
  • Dwelling and detached structures – Detached structures such as sheds, decks, and gazebos are also covered. This protects against the cost of repairs and replacements if a storm, fire, or vandalism causes damage to your property.
  • Personal belongings – This helps safeguard against damage or theft to the items you love most.

Additional Home Insurance Coverages

No two homes are the same, and every homeowner has unique needs, which is why Ron Johnston Insurance offers extended home insurance coverage for:

  • Extra Expenses – Owning a home means potential hidden costs at any time. Whether a pipe bursts, or your roof needs unforeseen repairs – Ron Johnston Insurance has you covered with extra expense home insurance coverage.
  • Identity Theft – Identity theft is a rising issue in Canada as more home and business owners use the internet to bank, shop, and live their lives. If your identity is stolen, it could lead to credit card debt, high phone bills, and other costs in your name. Identity theft protection ensures you are not held accountable for these costs.

Bundle and save with Ron Johnston Insurance

Get up to 20% off when you bundle Home & Auto insurance*

Frequently Asked Home Insurance Questions

Ron Johnston Insurance is passionate about keeping you informed. Here are some of our most frequently asked home insurance questions.

Who needs home insurance?
Do heating choices impact my home insurance premiums?
If I have car and health insurance, can I get a discount on my house insurance?
If I have a home business, do I need business insurance on my home?

Interested in learning more about Ron Johnston Insurance? Our professional Ontario brokers are always happy to lend a hand. Call us at 1-705-325-6200 for a home insurance quote today.

J Jeff Sieger

Their whole staff is great, and Chris is a lifesaver. Strongly recommend them!

F Fred Sansolita

Ron insurance we're really professional people and help me out greatly with my policy