Cottages can be a little slice of heaven during the vacation season. They can also act as a source of income when you aren’t using it. Whatever your secondary home is for, it’s important to obtain the right seasonal home insurance product to protect you and your belongings from financial risk.
Most Ontarians aren’t living in their cottages year-round. This leaves you open to risk when your cabin is unoccupied. Cottage insurance helps keep you from paying out of pocket to replace or repair your cabin when it is damaged.
Why Buy Cottage Insurance with Ron Johnston Insurance?
For more than four decades, Ron Johnston Insurance has served the people of Ontario in a broad range of seasonal home insurance services.
Being a local business, our team of experienced brokers know we aren’t just serving clients, but friends and neighbours. We strive to provide the greatest level of protection on all cottage insurance policies while meeting your budget needs with every secondary home insurance quote.
When you work with Ron Johnston Insurance for your cottage insurance in Ontario, you work with a team who believes in:
- Above and Beyond – Our brokers work around the clock to find the best deals for our clients. We aren’t satisfied until we know all your needs have been met, and you have peace of mind about your seasonal home.
- Express Claims – We offer express claims on our cabin insurance for accessibility and convenience.
- Customer Satisfaction – Your satisfaction is important to us. Our business is protecting your secondary home and assets. If you aren’t satisfied, we aren’t doing our job right.
What Does Cottage Insurance Cover?
Your cottage insurance protects you from many unexpected events, including:
There are two main types of cottage insurance to consider. The first being a standard seasonal home insurance policy with basic coverage, the second a customizable extended insurance policy.
At Ron Johnston Insurance, we know every Canadian uses their seasonal home differently. This means your neighbour’s cabin insurance policy may not work for you. We work closely with our clients to develop bespoke second home insurance plans that fit all your needs and keep you covered no matter the type of cottage you own, how often it’s used, or where in Ontario it is located.
Standard Cottage Insurance Coverage
Within your standard cottage insurance coverage, you are entitled to protection from the above-mentioned perils, and any other perils included in your policy. This coverage extends to:
- Your Cottage – The physical structure of your cabin is included in your cottage policy. Whether windows are broken in a hailstorm, or wind damage to your roof is causing a leak – rest assured your insurance will cover for repairs.
- Unattached Structures – Unattached structures such as sheds, docks, and fences are also included in your protection.
- Belongings – The belongings inside your cottage, garage, shed, and other structures on the property are included in your standard policy protection. We recommend taking inventory of the items in your cottage. If you file a claim later, it can be difficult to remember what on-site and how much each item was worth.
- Liability – If someone is injured while at your cottage, liability insurance helps you cover their medical costs and defends you if a lawsuit is filed. Whether your paper delivery person trips on a tree root, or a visiting relative slips in the shower, you are covered.
Extended Cabin Insurance Coverage
While cottage insurance in Ontario is thorough, there is always room for improvement. If your policy isn’t quite up to your standards, you can choose to add additional protection. Extended secondary home insurance options include:
- Pest and Animal Coverage – If your cottage is off the beaten path, and left unattended for months at a time, you could find unexpected guests living inside. Pest and animal damage can be quite extensive, and it isn’t covered in a standard cottage insurance policy. Adding pest and animal coverage can save you thousands in repairs and pest control.
- Lost Food Coverage – If you are worried power loss could be a problem; lost food coverage might be beneficial. This covers costs associated with food waste in the fridge and freezer if the power goes.
- Water Damage Coverage – Water damage is rarely covered in home insurance policies. Adding a water damage extension to your cabin insurance policy is essential if your cottage is near a body of water, which might swell and cause flooding.
- Income Property Coverage – If you use your cottage as an income property, you will need additional insurance products to protect yourself and your belongings. Talk to your cottage insurance brokers about income property insurance.
Frequently Asked Cottage Insurance Questions
We know your home away from home is more than a cottage, which is why we want you to understand all the fine print associated with your cabin insurance policy. To give our clients all the information needed to be successful in a claim, we have included some of our most frequently asked questions about secondary home insurance.
Interested in learning more about seasonal home insurance in Ontario? We invite you to contact the experienced cottage insurance brokers here at Ron Johnston Insurance. Call us at 1-705-410-5519 for your quote.