Being a business owner is a big responsibility, especially when you’re in the business of housing others. Rental properties come with risks, especially in terms of liability.
With many people (both renters and their visitors) on your property at any given time, protecting yourself and your property is vital.
Landlord insurance policies protect you against risks to your property and yourself, such as:
Renters insurance is important because while your renters may invest in tenant insurance, their policies do not protect the main structure of your rental property, communal spaces, attached and detached structures. Your renters insurance policy doesn’t protect you from liability issues which occur outside of their individual units.
At Ron Johnston Insurance, we have been serving Ontario business owners for more than 40 years, and working with landlords across the province has taught us a lot about what clients like you find important.
We strive to ensure that your rental income is secure, and that your investment properties have the best coverage at the most affordable price points.
Why Buy Renters Insurance with Ron Johnston Insurance?
For more than four decades, Ron Johnston Insurance has served the people of Ontario in a broad range of home insurance services.
Being a local business, our team of experienced brokers know we aren’t just serving clients, but friends and neighbours. We strive to provide the greatest level of protection on all renters insurance policies while meeting your budget needs with every renters insurance quote.
When you work with Ron Johnston Insurance for your landlord insurance needs, you work with a team who believes in:
- Above and Beyond – Our brokers work around the clock to find the best deals for our clients. We aren’t satisfied until we know all your needs have been met, and you have peace of mind about your rental property.
- Express Claims – We offer express claims on our renters insurance for accessibility and convenience.
- Customer Satisfaction – Your satisfaction is important to us. Our business is protecting your rental property and assets. If you aren’t satisfied, we aren’t doing our job right.
What is Renters Insurance?
While Ontario poses many safe and vibrant neighbourhoods, there are risks when renting to others. Renters insurance protects you in the event of damage to your property, communal areas shared by your tenants, and liability issues.
No two dwellings are the same, which is why Ron Johnston Insurance provides you with the opportunity to customize your landlord policy to fit your individual needs.
There are two main types of renters insurance policies, a standard coverage policy, and an extended coverage policy. You can add extra protection you need, depending on your lifestyle, location, and rental property type, in an extended policy.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover?
Landlord insurance protects your investment, ensuring you are not accountable for financial losses resulting from damage to your property and belongings, or liability issues. Your renters insurance policy extends across:
- The main structure of the rental property – The building, including windows, doors, walls, floors, plumbing, and heating and cooling systems are protected by your renters insurance policy.
- Communal spaces – Depending on the rental property you own, there may be staircases, elevators, lobbies, community rooms, and other shared spaces. These communal areas are also covered by your policy.
- External property – From gardens and manicured lawns to paved parking lots and pet play areas – you can insure all the outdoor space on your property in case of damage.
- Attached and detached structures – Many rental properties include storage rooms, tool sheds, garages, pools, fences, patios, and other additional structures. These areas are all included in the coverage from your landlord insurance policy.
- Liability issues – You are responsible for the comings and goings on your property in any area which isn’t covered by your tenant’s individual tenants insurance policy. Landlord insurance helps cover legal fees and medical fees for liability issues that may occur on your property.
You can opt for extended landlord insurance options, which may provide additional coverage on flood damage, sewer backup, and loss of income due to negligent tenants or lack of tenants.
Landlord insurance covers a variety of property types, including:
- Single dwelling homes
- Apartment complexes
At Ron Johnston Insurance, our experienced renters insurance brokers can help you get the right coverage for your property type, occupant size, and individual requirements.
Frequently Asked Renters or Landlord Insurance Questions
At Ron Johnston Insurance, we want our clients to be informed, which is why we have included some of our most frequently asked questions on landlord and renters insurance.
Interested in learning more about Ron Johnston Insurance landlord insurance products? We invite you to reach out to us and chat with one of our experienced brokers today. For a renters insurance quote, call 1-705-325-6200.
I really enjoy dealing with my broker at Ron Johnston insurance. Neil McKendrey has helped so much, with all of my commercial insurance needs for running my business! I would highly recommend dealing with RJI for their great quality of service!
Their whole staff is great, and Chris is a lifesaver. Strongly recommend them!
Ron insurance we're really professional people and help me out greatly with my policy